Monday, 27 June 2016

MY UNIVERSITY EXPERIENCE [UPDATED]



Hi everyone, today I thought I'd update you about my first year at university and also how my first year abroad have been.

I've done a post about this before (HERE) and also made two different Youtube videos about this (HERE and HERE) but those were all made a while back and there are some things that I thought I should update you about and since I've gotten quite a few new followers since then and get the question more frequently to write more about living abroad and especially studying abroad. So why not do an updated version of my previous talks and posts? :)

For those of you who don't know I just finished my first year of university doing BA Marketing at a London based university. Since I'm doing a full bachelor I'm going to be living in London for at least 3 years and then we'll see how I go from there.

I absolutely love studying in London and especially since I'm studying exactly what I want to do in the future makes this the ultimate experience for me. The biggest difference I would say from studying in any other city than London is that London is such a big and diverse city with endless opportunities for any interests and with endless possibilities to pursue your dream career or hobby. There are so many more job opportunities than in a smaller city which I'm from and you quickly learn that if you miss one job opportunity there will be another waiting just around the corner if you're "hungry" enough. ;)



First year of university I would say was quite a challenge for me in the beginning. It was hard for me to adapt to study in a new language. The English that we learn back in Sweden do not really prepare us for all the different accents you come across on a daily basis living in an English speaking country.  It was definitely tough but I continued working hard and what I thought really helped the most was getting an internship or even a job while studying. Doing this you will have to talk on a daily basis with loads of different people from all over the world and since you're doing that and not just sitting in a classroom or the library everyday of the where you don't have to talk you get hands on experience that will definitely make you feel more comfortable speaking freely without thinking too much about what to say.

The level of study I would definitely say was lower then I expected first year of university to be, I've also heard from a lot of people that first year is a lot easier than second year for some reason. I would definitely say that first year feels more like an introduction since it doesn't count towards your final grade on your diploma. But at the same time you have to land good grades if you want to get an internship during summer or anytime during your second year since it's those grades that the employer will use as reference. Thus, I would not expect it to be too easy, I've still struggled with some assignments and some modules but overall; easier than expected.



The biggest downside I would say studying abroad compared to home in Sweden are definitely the expenses. It is ridiculously expensive to live and study abroad (especially London) and sometimes you feel like all your hard work earning money goes to literally nothing. The rent is way overpriced and the tuition fee is painful to pay. Even if you get student finance which covers A LOT you still have to pay it all back when you finish. That I would say is definitely a bummer and something to really consider if you are thinking of studying abroad.

On the other hand, moving to another country away from home is incredibly healthy for anyone I would say. If you're not grown up before moving you will definitely need to grow up fast once you've moved. Your parents are not going to be there making decisions for you since they have no clue on how the country that you're living in works. The system is entirely different and it's really up to you to get all the information you need and fix everything yourself. Of course you can ask for help but it's not like your mum can travel to another country just to help you set up the internet in your apartment. So, for anyone feeling that you're stuck with your family and doesn't feel very grown up - move abroad!



To summarize this incredibly long post I would just want to say to all of you who are interested in moving abroad or even just moving away from home: use Google! I'm serious, google is definitely your best friend in any situation. It doesn't matter if it's how to change a light bulb or connect your new internet router, Google is your best friend. And also, I am your best friend. I might not know everything about everything but I would say that I've gained loads of experience. So if you ever have any questions about my studies, living abroad in London or anything else feel free to comment on my posts or even send me an email to: josefinmolanders@gmail.com and I will definitely try to help out as much as possible.

I really hope that this post will help someone with their thoughts about moving abroad, I'll catch you soon again! x

6 comments:

  1. I know how you feel, London is expensive isn't it? I live in the UK, but not London, and our prices here are crazy! It's a beautiful city though so I know why you love studying here.

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love London, I really do. And yes it's crazy expensive but the pros really weighs up in my opinion.

      Delete
  2. It's always been my dream to study abroad. I'm envious that you've gotten the opportunity huhu I want to study fashion there huhu

    http://whatchynadid.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely go for it, it's a once in a lifetime experience that you can't get anywhere else!

      Delete
  3. I definitely want to study abroad one day!! It would be the dream for me. You look so pretty in these photos!

    ReplyDelete